Sunday, April 24, 2011

Forced Religion

I love it when people try to force their religion on me. I don't believe in god or the ways of any religion but I don't make fun of anybody's beliefs. I actually like analyzing religions and looking at the best parts of it to see the best aspects of them philosophically. However, I do take offense when people force it on me or try to guilt me into participating. My family likes to do that. I may not believe in their religion but I don't argue with them about it or make fun of it. I am respectful of their beliefs and I don't think its appropriate for me to go to a religious service that I don't believe in just because the family wants to sit together or wants to keep up appearances. Is it really so important for me to capitulate with their beliefs or is it better that I stay true to my own while simultaneously remaining respectful of theirs. Sure I could argue with them about many aspects of their religion but I know they don't want to talk about it even in a intelligent discussion. It gets really annoying around the religious holidays like Easter and Christmas when they try to make me feel like a terrible person for not doing exactly what they want. Fun Fun Fun.

No comments: