Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dreams

I am writing a research paper about the function of dreams for my english class. I have yet to start the research but I have my own hypothesis as to why them come about and how they form. The brain is basically a computer and with that a constant stream of new data every day. That data is comprised of images, sounds, and experiences. I think when the body enters that deep sleep where dreaming occurs, the brain strings these things together into the experience that a person would call a dream. I think that the psychological state of the person heavily influences what would form during the dream. I think that these dreams are fueled by what a person's psyche is afraid of, desires, or enjoys. However, during sleep the brain and body is basically completely shut down so those kind of emotions are not really occurring while a person is sleeping. I think that the dreams that you have are determined by the emotional state a person is in right before they go to sleep. These emotions have a hormonal response in the body like endorphins while a person is happy and I think that those hormones stay in the body while we sleep and influence what images and sounds string together while our brains interpret the data it has received during the day. I probably sound really dumb but these are my thoughts on it.

No comments: