Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Predestined Tomfoolery

For whatever reason I got into another discussion about fate again last night with a friend of mine. The whole concept of fate seems impossible to me. At any given point a person has a vast number of decisions to make that could lead them down completely different paths. To me it seems impossible for there to be some overwhelming thing guiding you down a set path towards something you are supposed to do. Life is chaotic and filled with chance. Things just happen sometimes. Those who really believe in fate would counter what I just said by saying that every choice you make leads you to your fate. I think that even though the concept of a predestined plan can give a person some sort of comfort but I also think that it can narrow and close your mind. I once got into an conversation about this with someone who was religious. He told me that fate is god's plan for all of us and that we shouldn't question it. If that was the case then why give anyone free will? It contradicts itself, with free will you can make any decision that you want but apparently it doesn't matter within the scope of religion. I really do believe that relying on the idea of fate only results in relinquishing control of your life. The only thing you really have in life are the choices that you make and if you are happy you made them. But that's what I believe. I hope I didn't come across as intolerant.

1 comment:

francheska said...

About fate; i think those who believe their choices and actions are set by fate, whether is in a religious manner on not, is just a way people use to justify their actions, by simply blaming fate, when then truth is we chose what happens, and we are entirely responsible for what happens and the choices we make, we choose our future, not fate. Fate is just an excuse for people to not take the responsibility of their actions. Ones who believe in fate would say, "it was bound to happen, this is my fate", instead of, "i made this happen, I am here because all the things i did". But after all, is just my opinion.