Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Comics


I love comics. I grew up being blown away and influenced by comics like Calvin and Hobbes, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, and so many more. Believe it or not, but comics like those really instilled a sense a sense of philosophy, morality, and wonder in my young mind and still do to this day. The comic the Watchmen alone changed how I looked at the world and at people themselves. It completely deconstructed the image of the super hero and made them into these severely flawed people who ultimately want to do good. It also showed me one of the most horrifying examples of doing something for the greater good I have ever seen. Between that and characters that were extremely memorable and that you cared about, I think Watchman is more than just a comic. The same can be said about V for Vendetta. The story itself talks about ideology and the rights and wrongs involved with government. Both of these books are brilliant and are more than just stories with pictures. However, the comic that has probably influenced me the most growing up is Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Waterson. This comic was filled with creative childhood moments that anyone who reads can relate too while also depicting those things through beautiful artwork and touching character moments like the pictures displayed above and below. I look back on it now and am amazed that these comic touched on such emotional and philosophical topics. Comics like these are amazing to me and I am glad I grew up reading them.







No comments: